Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day

Ting was over the moon that could download Chinese music into her iphone.  I spent the morning being seranaded by two cats, a singing Chinese kid and Otis snoring.  This iphone is going to be the end of me--I don't think she's spoken three words to me since we had it set up.  So we decided to go to the Symphony in the Park with the DSO for Memorial Day, with a preliminary stop at the grocery store for water, fruit, and other Memorial Day-ish treats.  I'm walking through the grocery store in a mad rush because of course otis thought this was a great idea but then did nothing to actually make this idea hapen other than tell me--so now I'm waddling around the store trying to remember watermelon-water-paper towels-ice...watermelon-water-paper towels-ice.  Ting?  TING?! Sure enough I lost her somewhere betweent the watermelon and the water, letting lose some Chinese rap in the frozen foods section.  I managed--barely--to contain myself before my Mother's voice cascaded across the store: "take those things out of your ears and pay attention!  We're already late!"

oh my.

We headed to Flag Pole Hill with our watemelon-water-paper towels-ice for the Memorial Day Concert.  What a beautiful day it was...looking at my immigrant daughter framed by the flag complete with dancing children, dogs on leashes, and people tossing around baseballs.  It looked like something out of modern-day Norman Rockwell painting.  It just got better and better as I watched my half-Japanese step-daughter and laughed at the baby kicking in my stomach, enjoying the melody of the Spanish being spoken behind us.

Then Otis turned to Ting, "Ting!  They have free popsicles over there!"

Ting, "Okay!  Hold on--let me get my passport!"

wha????

No comments:

Post a Comment